Wednesday 4 January 2012

retiring spugl domain

Well, it's time to retire the project that started this blog almost 4 years ago...

SPUGL logo

I was making fairly good progress on it, but after I started working in a games company, it took 6 months for their legal department to give me permission to continue working on my own project and by then we were deep into crunch and I really didn't want to do any hobby coding after a 10+ hour day.

Since OtherOS has been officially removed from the PS3, I've had no inclination to go back and revisit this project, even despite the unofficial ways of running linux on the PS3 now, so I think now the time is right to retire the domains. I've renewed them for a few years past working on the project, but since nobody is even looking at them it's just not worth keeping them around any longer...

I guess it was a great thing in terms of getting me a job in the games industry, it's just a shame that I felt like I was pushing the boundaries of what was possible on the PS3 in the early days before getting a job in games and since I've been in games, I've barely written any SPU code at all. Shame - it is without a doubt the nicest ISA I've even worked with...

No comments: